I started these braised grass-fed beef short ribs using this recipe. But because I’m trying to use locally available ingredients as much as possible, I adapted it.
* 4 pounds grass-fed beef short ribs
* Coarse salt and black pepper
* 3 cups zinfandel (I used 7 Deadly Zins)
* 1/2 cup maple syrup
* 12 oz home canned heirloom tomatoes from last summer
* 2 cups homemade beef broth (I had some frozen)
* 1 tbsp minced garlic
* 3 sprigs fresh thyme, picked off stem
* 2 bay leaves
* 3 oz canola oil
* 2 cups chopped onion (thinnings from the garden)
* 2 cups baby carrots (thinnings from the garden)
* 2 oz dried black trumpet mushrooms, from last summer (almost out, woe)
Man did it come out tasty. Zin and maple syrup together are amazing. Who knew?!
Creamy kale (from a farm stand I pass when I take Frank to the train) and potatoes from Western Mass. My potato plants are doing well, but I’m not willing to rob them yet.