The Piglet Pool

Hermione This is Hermione today, October 7, 2009. She’s a two year old purebred Tamworth pig. I was convinced she’d have those piglets today, because it’s raining really hard and the wind is really bad. Plus, she’s been keeping herself separate from the herd, and definitely nest building. She didn’t come up for breakfast this morning and then dinner this evening, so I went to see how she was doing. She then followed me back down, after showing me her nest and getting a good scratching, so she is still eating, after all.

But then I looked at the photo from the day before she had piglets last time. What a milk line! Neither of the younger three girls got near that big before they had piglets. Hermione delivered four days past her due date last time, but we don’t have a clue when she and Albus Dumbleboar did the deed.

Any guesses as to when and how many? I’m going to say Sunday the 11th with 10 piglets. She had 6 live last time, her first.

This entry was posted in Pigs. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

7 Comments

1. Posted October 7, 2009 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

Last time she was four days past the last possible due date, assuming she caught on the day we brought her home. She could have been weeks overdue for all we know. I’ll go with Monday, since it’s supposed to rain. Ten piglets sounds good. I assume we’re only counting live births.

2. Leslie
    Posted October 7, 2009 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

I’m in for Friday (hopefully with fair skies) and 12 piglets.

3. Posted October 7, 2009 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

I will go with Monday and how about 11 little ones. =0)

4. Katja
    Posted October 7, 2009 at 8:03 pm | Permalink

Katja: Saturday, October 10, 10 live
    Chuck: Tuesday, October 13, 9 live
    Any prizes?
    xo

5. Frank
    Posted October 10, 2009 at 7:17 pm | Permalink

It turns out to be Saturday and six piglets. And there’s another sow hiding back in the brush. We’re trying to figure out if it’s Minnie or Mona. Ginny and Mina are accounted for.

6. Posted October 11, 2009 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

I am going to guess ten piglets and when its cold/raining, because for some reason they always like to hold of to the worst weather possable. or at least my momma’s do LOL

7. Posted October 12, 2009 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

Chick of th woods facebook update.. Lisa you lucky thing, I have been having having a great fall for finding Kings, I have spent the last couple years looking for a chick of the woods, and never found one yet, we keep trying new hiking trails and we are not giving up.

However my own back pasture faithfully gives me two to four 20 to 30 pd puffballs yearly and I do so enjoy them for drying and using as a thicken with a mushroom flavor but my favorite is the kings.. love them.

Happy mushroom hunting!